Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

  1. #31
    not_Fritz_Argelander's Avatar
    not_Fritz_Argelander is online now HYPER GIANT
    Points: 167,975, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!750 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    20,493
    Points
    167,975
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    7,063
    Thanked 43,581x 14,018 Posts
    Blog Entries
    51

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE



    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCorgi View Post
    So I have the dew shield, a Bahtinov focuser and a Celestron illuminated reticle on order. I am still waiting for the 2" eyepiece set my telescope bundle included. I have a Meade series 4000 .63 focal reducer saved in my wish list. I'm curious to know if it is compatible with my nexstar 8se? The Celestron .63 reducer is a lot more than the Meade reducer. Any idea why?
    They are made in the same factory AFAIK. Optically they are interchangeable. Possibly Celestron is making higher quality demands on the factory? So if the Meade works well, great! If not, don't hesitate to return it.
    Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80 (mods for white light solar), SV ED80 f7 Newtonians: Z12 f5 Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Mixed branded Masuyama/Astroplans Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG

  2. #32
    SpaceCorgi's Avatar
    SpaceCorgi is offline Main Sequence
    Points: 614, Level: 12
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!50 Posts Achievement!5 Threads Achievement!Gallery Achievement!
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    upstate New York, USA
    Posts
    59
    Points
    614
    Level
    12
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9x 9 Posts

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    Quote Originally Posted by not_Fritz_Argelander View Post
    They are made in the same factory AFAIK. Optically they are interchangeable. Possibly Celestron is making higher quality demands on the factory? So if the Meade works well, great! If not, don't hesitate to return it.
    Is this the sort of accessory I'd be better off saving money for to get a real high quality one, or is something like the Meade fine to go with?

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    StarMax 90mm Maksutov - Cassegrain

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    8SE Schmidt - Cassegrain

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

  3. #33
    not_Fritz_Argelander's Avatar
    not_Fritz_Argelander is online now HYPER GIANT
    Points: 167,975, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!750 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    20,493
    Points
    167,975
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    7,063
    Thanked 43,581x 14,018 Posts
    Blog Entries
    51

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCorgi View Post
    Is this the sort of accessory I'd be better off saving money for to get a real high quality one, or is something like the Meade fine to go with?
    For my SCTs when I had them I used the Meade AND the Celestron AND the Astro Physics versions and couldn't tell a lick of difference.
    SpaceCorgi likes this.
    Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80 (mods for white light solar), SV ED80 f7 Newtonians: Z12 f5 Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Mixed branded Masuyama/Astroplans Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG

  4. #34
    MessyA's Avatar
    MessyA is offline White Dwarf
    Points: 341, Level: 6
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!5 Threads Achievement!
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    21
    Points
    341
    Level
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0x 0 Posts

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    Just discovered this thread. Not as experienced as many on this Forum but I did own a Meade 8" SCT years back, owned a 6SE, and am awaiting an Evolution 8". As far as accessories go, I can't say enough about the Telrad. I think it is an incredible "finder". I like it better than the finder scope I had on the old Meade and it destroys the Red Dot Finder that comes with all Nexstars. (I know that the Star Sense makes all this a moot point, but I don't own one and I imagine many Nexstar owners also do not. )
    For around $40, the Telrad performs incredibly well.

    First, it projects a "bullseye" image for centering the object, rather than trying to have the red "dot" and object coincide. (The red dot often obscures the object. I know you can turn the intensity of the dot down.. even still.)

    I keep hearing about the finder not being that important on a Goto scope because you "only need it for the 1st star..." etc. I disagree! First, if you use the wi-fi for alignment on an Evolution, for instance, you are limited to 3 star (SkyAlign) alignment- so you will be centering 3 stars in the finder, (not just the 1st star). Even if you don't use wi-fi, it is still easier to use the Telrad with the hand controller. And if you have an Evolution, where you can release the clutches and quickly just aim visually, it is great to have that Telrad to get "close" to something.

    Let's face it, there are great accessories as already mentioned, but getting aligned, or centering an object in the eyepiece is the first thing you do, so why not have an accessory that makes it easier?
    Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement for Telrad, but after dealimg with finder scopes and RDF's, I could hug the dealer here who showed me the Telrad.

  5. #35
    SpaceCorgi's Avatar
    SpaceCorgi is offline Main Sequence
    Points: 614, Level: 12
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!50 Posts Achievement!5 Threads Achievement!Gallery Achievement!
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    upstate New York, USA
    Posts
    59
    Points
    614
    Level
    12
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9x 9 Posts

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    Quote Originally Posted by MessyA View Post
    Just discovered this thread. Not as experienced as many on this Forum but I did own a Meade 8" SCT years back, owned a 6SE, and am awaiting an Evolution 8". As far as accessories go, I can't say enough about the Telrad. I think it is an incredible "finder". I like it better than the finder scope I had on the old Meade and it destroys the Red Dot Finder that comes with all Nexstars. (I know that the Star Sense makes all this a moot point, but I don't own one and I imagine many Nexstar owners also do not. )
    For around $40, the Telrad performs incredibly well.

    First, it projects a "bullseye" image for centering the object, rather than trying to have the red "dot" and object coincide. (The red dot often obscures the object. I know you can turn the intensity of the dot down.. even still.)

    I keep hearing about the finder not being that important on a Goto scope because you "only need it for the 1st star..." etc. I disagree! First, if you use the wi-fi for alignment on an Evolution, for instance, you are limited to 3 star (SkyAlign) alignment- so you will be centering 3 stars in the finder, (not just the 1st star). Even if you don't use wi-fi, it is still easier to use the Telrad with the hand controller. And if you have an Evolution, where you can release the clutches and quickly just aim visually, it is great to have that Telrad to get "close" to something.

    Let's face it, there are great accessories as already mentioned, but getting aligned, or centering an object in the eyepiece is the first thing you do, so why not have an accessory that makes it easier?
    Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement for Telrad, but after dealimg with finder scopes and RDF's, I could hug the dealer here who showed me the Telrad.
    My Telrad just arrived today and I was able to install it and actually get out to use my scope and practice alignments. So far I am VERY happy with the Telrad. I was able to get the Telrad basically aligned during the day and then got it much more precise using Mars. I am still struggling with aligning the scope though. Tonight's session was a bit rushed so there is that. I wish that these scopes were able to let you center any object in your eyepiece and just hit the align button to track it. Maybe you can and I am just not aware?

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    StarMax 90mm Maksutov - Cassegrain

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    8SE Schmidt - Cassegrain

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

  6. #36
    SpaceCorgi's Avatar
    SpaceCorgi is offline Main Sequence
    Points: 614, Level: 12
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!50 Posts Achievement!5 Threads Achievement!Gallery Achievement!
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    upstate New York, USA
    Posts
    59
    Points
    614
    Level
    12
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9x 9 Posts

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    Still waiting on my 2" eyepiece set. Really can't wait for that. I attempted to find Neptune tonight, but with my lack of alignment experience and not knowing what Neptune should look like through a 25mm EP, I couldn't find it. Or maybe I did and didn't realize it.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    StarMax 90mm Maksutov - Cassegrain

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    8SE Schmidt - Cassegrain

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

  7. #37
    not_Fritz_Argelander's Avatar
    not_Fritz_Argelander is online now HYPER GIANT
    Points: 167,975, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!750 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    20,493
    Points
    167,975
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    7,063
    Thanked 43,581x 14,018 Posts
    Blog Entries
    51

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCorgi View Post
    Still waiting on my 2" eyepiece set. Really can't wait for that. I attempted to find Neptune tonight, but with my lack of alignment experience and not knowing what Neptune should look like through a 25mm EP, I couldn't find it. Or maybe I did and didn't realize it.
    The color should give it away at low power. Then higher magnification reveals the disk.
    Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80 (mods for white light solar), SV ED80 f7 Newtonians: Z12 f5 Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Mixed branded Masuyama/Astroplans Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG

  8. #38
    FWMac's Avatar
    FWMac is offline White Dwarf
    Points: 5,226, Level: 49
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!365 Days+ Registered Achievement!750 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    36
    Points
    5,226
    Level
    49
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 15x 13 Posts

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    I owned a 8SE for several years and really enjoyed it. Here are a couple more thoughts on accessories:

    - I bought a 6mAh Talentcell lithium battery ( see Amazon). It provided more than enough power and was small enough to mount on the arm with Velcro. No more cord wrap.
    - for dew control I bought an Astrozap dew shield, which helped some. But I still dewed up on cool damp evenings. So I insulated my ota by making a simple blanket of Reflectix with an inner liner of black felt, fastened by Velcro strips. No more dew on the objective, even when my car, eyepiece case, and everything else is dripping wet. Works by retaining the heat in the scope and avoiding the radiant heat loss to the dark clear sky that causes the scope to cool below the ambient dew point. Might give it a shot before investing in active dew controllers/heaters to see if it is adequate for your viewing climate.

    Hope this helps.

    I know how you feel being on the early part of the learning curve. Good luck, and let us know how it’s going.
    SpyderwerX likes this.
    Evo 8 EdgeHD, StarSeek
    Baader Asph 36 31, ES82 18 14, BCO 10
    Filters: DGM NPB , Astronomiks OIII
    WO bino viewer, BA8 10x50 binos, PST SS

  9. #39
    safinsd's Avatar
    safinsd is offline White Dwarf
    Points: 221, Level: 4
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!5 Threads Achievement!
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    25
    Points
    221
    Level
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8x 3 Posts

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    I have zero experience and a 1st telescope (an 8SE). This is what I have so far:
    T-ring and T-adapter for camera (to photograph moon with an A6500)
    Dew shield
    Telrad finder scope
    Celestron vibration suprression pads
    MOTOFOCUS electric telescope focusing motor
    NexImage 5 Solar System Imager (5MP)
    Celestron power tank
    Celestron eyepiece/filter accessory kit
    2x Barlow
    Telescope cover and case
    Pneumatically adjustable "posing" stool (20-30")
    Nexstar User's Guide II
    Rukl moon atlas
    Observer's handbook and calendar
    Sky & Telescope subscription

  10. #40
    safinsd's Avatar
    safinsd is offline White Dwarf
    Points: 221, Level: 4
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!5 Threads Achievement!
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    25
    Points
    221
    Level
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8x 3 Posts

    Default Re: Opinions on accessories for a Celestron Nexstar 8SE

    Any opinions on the best location for a Telrad on the 8SE?

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Celestron nexstar 127 Accessories
    By Weston in forum Astronomy Beginners Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
  2. Celestron NexStar 130 SLT opinions
    By joecamel75 in forum Astronomy Beginners Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 10:07 PM
  3. Celestron NexStar 8 SE Accessories
    By Maniac in forum Astronomy Beginners Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 03:19 PM
  4. Celestron Nexstar 130 opinions
    By Alasdair Macintyre in forum UK Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Powered by vBulletin®
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25 PM.