Before my last AP session I posted a topic on whether rotating the OTA to face the imaging camera to the underside would be of any benefit. Among other things I got a link to an Astronomy Shed video that showed doing a two step approach to balancing the DEC axis. The first step is the normal one of loosening the clutch and swinging the tube horizontally, then moving the OTA forward or backward in the saddle until it is balanced (or slightly forward end heavy for AP).
I prepared myself a checklist for the nights when I am going to image. This is my best recollection of what I have done in the past. I will run through it in upcoming sessions and adjust as I find things that need it.
I have created this as a spreadsheet and will share with anyone who is interested once I have had the chance to vett it myself.
Bring gear out: scope, mount, box
roughly position and polar align mount
Updated 08-16-2016 at 02:19 AM by bobharmony
It looks like I may finally be getting some solid results (at least for me) from my autoguiding setup. I am capturing 120 second subs on M27 at the moment, and so far 15 out of 18 look like keepers based on what I can see in BackyardEOS. That's better than an 80% success rate, much better than my previous high of 35% at 2 minutes.
Because setup did not go smoothly, I got a later start than I wanted to on the run, and as a result I am looking at a meridian flip in a few minutes.
Last night (after spending time Monday night doing an indoor dry run) I took the scope outside with an eye toward getting pulse guiding working. I have to say I am not a fan of having to connect the Celestron way - using NexRemote software on the PC connected to the Hand Controller on the scope - more on that later.
My first move was to get everything connected up through the USB hub, which I had running in the test. This time the PC reported that it didn't recognize the device
It has been suggested by several folks here that I move away from autoguiding with the ST-4 port and that I enable ASCOM to enable pulse guiding. So I set out to do this tonight. Nice rainy night, so I'm not burning any imaging or observing time.
I had previously obtained the Celestron serial cable needed to do this, and the serial to USB converter cable. I did this last year when I was looking to upgrade the mount motor and hand controller firmware for the C6N. I bought a cable