Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

  1. #21
    KT4HX's Avatar
    KT4HX is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 99,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points750 Days+ Registered Achievement!1000 Days+ Registered Achievement!200+ Posts Achievement!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,710
    Points
    99,566
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    1,393
    Thanked 8,019x 4,327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky



    Quote Originally Posted by John Baars View Post
    Yip, that helps. Found it. SSPro gives the right position. Uranometria 2000 too.
    Thanks!
    Great John, glad that was useful for you.
    Alan || My DSO Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob
    ES AR127 f/6.5 and ES ED80 f/6 on Twilight-II Mount
    ES 82° 24mm thru 4.7mm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astronomers: We look into the past to see our future.

  2. #22
    terrynak's Avatar
    terrynak is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 37,291, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points50 Posts Achievement!200+ Posts Achievement!750 Days+ Registered Achievement!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,519
    Points
    37,291
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    3,190
    Thanked 2,187x 1,392 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Quote Originally Posted by KT4HX View Post
    Thanks Terry. I hope the temptation does motivate you to get back out there. Pneumonia is certainly not a fun way to have a vacation! Sorry the trip did not pan out, but I would imagine others are in the plans for a later time to make up for it!

    Maybe you should plan a trip to the Atacama Lodge in Chile. They even have telescopes to rent, and your Spanish will come in handy as well.
    Home | San Pedro de Atacama Celestial Explorations
    You're welcome Alan!

    That was my original plan - to go to Chile. But the air fare to Spain was a screaming good deal, so I didn't lose much by not showing up at the airport Sunday morning.

    Nothing more exciting for me than to observe from more southerly latitudes (than L.A.).
    KT4HX likes this.
    Terry
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    : Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ, Meade
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    114EQ,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Starblast 4.5EQ, Orion Short Tube 80A, and a whole bunch of others that get very little or no usage.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to terrynak For This Useful Post:

    KT4HX (01-30-2019)

  4. #23
    kanadalainen's Avatar
    kanadalainen is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 28,470, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!5 Threads Achievement!50 Posts Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    2,927
    Points
    28,470
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,916
    Thanked 2,372x 1,044 Posts

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Thanks Alan,

    I really love the fact that you get to ply the skies with a 4.5" newtonian; but especially that this is all happening in the Southern Hemisphere. I get the sense that this ongoing trek is a that of a "kid in a candy store" .

    Clearest of skies
    Ian
    KT4HX and terrynak like this.
    Ian

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Celestron - Vixen 80 f11.3 on a Vixen alt/az mount and an
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    dob XT10i f4.7
    Binoculars Asahi Pentax 7x35 and 7x50, Beck Kassel 8x30 and Celestron 15x70 Camera Nikon D90 with Rokinon 10mm
    Eyepieces: Leitz Periplan GF, ES68s, ES82s, TV Naglers, Meade 4000 super plossl, Nikon CFI, Olympus FK, Paracorr I, Abbe Orthos: Carl Zeiss Jena K7x (35mm), K10x (25mm)

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    : 110
    Herschel 400: 90 Comets: 2 Planets: 6

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to kanadalainen For This Useful Post:

    KT4HX (01-30-2019)

  6. #24
    KT4HX's Avatar
    KT4HX is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 99,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points750 Days+ Registered Achievement!1000 Days+ Registered Achievement!200+ Posts Achievement!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,710
    Points
    99,566
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    1,393
    Thanked 8,019x 4,327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Quote Originally Posted by kanadalainen View Post
    Thanks Alan,

    I really love the fact that you get to ply the skies with a 4.5" newtonian; but especially that this is all happening in the Southern Hemisphere. I get the sense that this ongoing trek is a that of a "kid in a candy store" .

    Clearest of skies
    Ian
    Thank you Ian. I will be honest and tell you that if I come back here again, I do not plan to bring the little newt. I will make other arrangements, even if it means modifying another scope I have for travel. I don't like being restricted to a 1.25" focuser plus one that is poorly designed. Of course I could rework the newt for a 2 inch focuser, but then I don't see the need to do an upgrade that would cost more than the OTA ($99).

    So, when I get home, I will see what options I have for down the road. That said, I will make do with what I have in hand for this trip and get as much out of it as I can. Ultimately it is meant to be given to our grandson one day. Otherwise, it will be put away when I get back home. I will add that I enjoyed the overall views through the ED80 I brought previously much more. There was just a different feel, one for the much higher quality physical build of the scope to be sure (it cost a lot more of course), but also to the clarity of the views through the higher quality optics.

    Yeah, there is some candy-store mentality to this as well. But, I've also observed enough from farther south that some of the initial "wowee" has worn off and I am able to focus more intently on the task at hand. But, should I ever get a chance to go even farther south where there is yet more stuff that I can't see or see well from here, then that more child-like excitement would once again overcome me I am sure!
    Alan || My DSO Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob
    ES AR127 f/6.5 and ES ED80 f/6 on Twilight-II Mount
    ES 82° 24mm thru 4.7mm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astronomers: We look into the past to see our future.

  7. #25
    Voyageur's Avatar
    Voyageur is online now SUPER GIANT
    Points: 7,960, Level: 62
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts AchievementGot three Friends20 Posts Achievement!50 Posts Achievement!5 Threads Achievement!
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Leelanau County, Michigan (April-Oct); Barra de Navidad, MX (Nov-March)
    Posts
    1,299
    Points
    7,960
    Level
    62
    Thanks
    350
    Thanked 514x 330 Posts

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Wonderful report, Alan; you have whetted my recently-acquired appetite for more southern sky viewing. I like your descriptions of the objects.
    KT4HX likes this.
    Mary


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    :
    Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6. Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az. Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    . Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997;
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Voyageur For This Useful Post:

    KT4HX (01-31-2019)

  9. #26
    KT4HX's Avatar
    KT4HX is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 99,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points750 Days+ Registered Achievement!1000 Days+ Registered Achievement!200+ Posts Achievement!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,710
    Points
    99,566
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    1,393
    Thanked 8,019x 4,327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    Wonderful report, Alan; you have whetted my recently-acquired appetite for more southern sky viewing. I like your descriptions of the objects.
    Thank you Mary. There certainly is a lot to pursue the farther south you can get. Looks like you are around 19N there, similar to another location from which I observed a few years back. It can be a bit like Ian said (in response to my last report), a kid in a candy store mentality. There is something very exciting for northerners gaining a new perspective with opportunities to peer beyond their normal horizons. The thrill of learning constellations and stars, then the pursuit of new objects. Enjoy the journey, as it is not something that most have an opportunity to do regularly.
    Last edited by KT4HX; 01-31-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    terrynak and Voyageur like this.
    Alan || My DSO Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob
    ES AR127 f/6.5 and ES ED80 f/6 on Twilight-II Mount
    ES 82° 24mm thru 4.7mm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astronomers: We look into the past to see our future.

  10. #27
    terrynak's Avatar
    terrynak is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 37,291, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points50 Posts Achievement!200+ Posts Achievement!750 Days+ Registered Achievement!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,519
    Points
    37,291
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    3,190
    Thanked 2,187x 1,392 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Quote Originally Posted by KT4HX View Post
    Thank you Ian. I will be honest and tell you that if I come back here again, I do not plan to bring the little newt. I will make other arrangements, even if it means modifying another scope I have for travel. I don't like being restricted to a 1.25" focuser plus one that is poorly designed. Of course I could rework the newt for a 2 inch focuser, but then I don't see the need to do an upgrade that would cost more than the OTA ($99).

    So, when I get home, I will see what options I have for down the road. That said, I will make do with what I have in hand for this trip and get as much out of it as I can. Ultimately it is meant to be given to our grandson one day. Otherwise, it will be put away when I get back home. I will add that I enjoyed the overall views through the ED80 I brought previously much more. There was just a different feel, one for the much higher quality physical build of the scope to be sure (it cost a lot more of course), but also to the clarity of the views through the higher quality optics.

    Yeah, there is some candy-store mentality to this as well. But, I've also observed enough from farther south that some of the initial "wowee" has worn off and I am able to focus more intently on the task at hand. But, should I ever get a chance to go even farther south where there is yet more stuff that I can't see or see well from here, then that more child-like excitement would once again overcome me I am sure!
    I see that the Orion Fun Scope Astro Dazzle has been discontinued. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Thought about getting one for myself.

    Sorry to hear that the poor focuser and images the scope produces far outweighs the slightly larger light-gathering power of this scope compared to the ED80. I've never owned an ED (or other APO) or used a Crayford focuser, nor have I observed using 2" EPs (even though at least 4 of my scopes have 2" focusers).

    Hope you can get to Australasia or South America sometime soon - of the four times I've been down there (twice to Argentina, twice to Australia), only managed to get some good observing done on 1 out of the 4 trips. Need to plan some trips to Hawaii - I'd be thrilled just to go that far south.
    Last edited by terrynak; 01-31-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    KT4HX likes this.
    Terry
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    : Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ, Meade
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    114EQ,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Starblast 4.5EQ, Orion Short Tube 80A, and a whole bunch of others that get very little or no usage.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to terrynak For This Useful Post:

    KT4HX (01-31-2019)

  12. #28
    KT4HX's Avatar
    KT4HX is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 99,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points750 Days+ Registered Achievement!1000 Days+ Registered Achievement!200+ Posts Achievement!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,710
    Points
    99,566
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    1,393
    Thanked 8,019x 4,327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Quote Originally Posted by terrynak View Post
    I see that the Orion Fun Scope Astro Dazzle has been discontinued. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Thought about getting one for myself.

    Sorry to hear that the focuser and the
    I think it is on par with most scopes in that price range. Its okay for playing around for casual observing, but not something that I can use for what I see as more serious observing. It could be modified, but honestly I don't see the value added to that given it would cost more than its worth to do it right. Sure its an aperture bump over the ED80, but the quality of views and physical build are significantly different, as I would expect. I will work out a different scenario for the next opportunity I have closer to the equator.
    terrynak likes this.
    Alan || My DSO Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob
    ES AR127 f/6.5 and ES ED80 f/6 on Twilight-II Mount
    ES 82° 24mm thru 4.7mm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astronomers: We look into the past to see our future.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to KT4HX For This Useful Post:

    terrynak (01-31-2019)

  14. #29
    terrynak's Avatar
    terrynak is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 37,291, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points50 Posts Achievement!200+ Posts Achievement!750 Days+ Registered Achievement!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,519
    Points
    37,291
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    3,190
    Thanked 2,187x 1,392 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Quote Originally Posted by KT4HX View Post
    I think it is on par with most scopes in that price range. Its okay for playing around for casual observing, but not something that I can use for what I see as more serious observing. It could be modified, but honestly I don't see the value added to that given it would cost more than its worth to do it right. Sure its an aperture bump over the ED80, but the quality of views and physical build are significantly different, as I would expect. I will work out a different scenario for the next opportunity I have closer to the equator.
    Sorry Alan, I inadvertently sent out the post before I finished it - see finished post above.

    Personally, I prefer longer focal length Newtonians which give slightly better images than the faster ones like the Astro Dazzle, Star Blast 4.5 or the Sky Scanner. But not easy to transport on an airplane of course. I would probably bring the Sky Scanner again on my next trip to more southerly skies (even to Hawaii) only if I can get tube rings for it. If not, the ST80A will be my scope of choice.

    Still, even the 2" F/7 'frac was a thrill to use on my first Southern astro-safari. The Sky Scanner only got 2 hours of use last year (and 2 DSOs bagged).
    KT4HX likes this.
    Terry
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    : Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ, Meade
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    114EQ,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Starblast 4.5EQ, Orion Short Tube 80A, and a whole bunch of others that get very little or no usage.

  15. #30
    KT4HX's Avatar
    KT4HX is offline HYPER GIANT
    Points: 99,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points750 Days+ Registered Achievement!1000 Days+ Registered Achievement!200+ Posts Achievement!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,710
    Points
    99,566
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    1,393
    Thanked 8,019x 4,327 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200

    Default Re: Observing Report for 27 January 2019 - dove droppings from a viscous sky

    Quote Originally Posted by terrynak View Post
    Sorry Alan, I inadvertently sent out the post before I finished it - see finished post above.

    Personally, I prefer longer focal length Newtonians which give slightly better images than the faster ones like the Astro Dazzle, Star Blast 4.5 or the Sky Scanner. But not easy to transport on an airplane of course. I would probably bring the Sky Scanner again on my next trip to more southerly skies (even to Hawaii) only if I can get tube rings for it. If not, the ST80A will be my scope of choice.

    Still, even the 2" F/7 'frac was a thrill to use on my first Southern astro-safari. The Sky Scanner only got 2 hours of use last year (and 2 DSOs bagged).
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying Terry. I will say that ever since I got my ED80, I have to admit I really like the clarity and quality of the visual it puts up. I have considered a 6" f/5 newt OTA, like the one at High Point Scientific for $199. A little more favorable focal ratio for visual and more aperture in a still relatively compact package. Plus it has a 2" (single-speed) focuser - for me, a must have.

    https://www.highpointscientific.com/...onian-ota-6f5n

    However, when I get home I am going to access what I already have on hand and see what ideas I can come up with keeping in mind the desire for more aperture as well as portability to get the equipment back and forth via air. Creative packing will definitely be required!
    terrynak likes this.
    Alan || My DSO Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob
    ES AR127 f/6.5 and ES ED80 f/6 on Twilight-II Mount
    ES 82° 24mm thru 4.7mm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astronomers: We look into the past to see our future.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. nFA's observing reports January 25, 2019
    By not_Fritz_Argelander in forum Astronomy Reports Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-27-2019, 10:10 PM
  2. nFA's observing reports January 16, 2019
    By not_Fritz_Argelander in forum Astronomy Reports Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-24-2019, 12:41 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-16-2019, 02:07 PM
  4. Observing Report for 10 January 2019 - cloud dodging continued
    By KT4HX in forum Astronomy Reports Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-16-2019, 01:52 PM
  5. Observing Report for 08 January 2019 - the milkman cometh
    By KT4HX in forum Astronomy Reports Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Powered by vBulletin®
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29 PM.