Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Contemplating the Route to Get Into AP

  1. #11
    KathyNS's Avatar
    KathyNS is offline Super Moderator
    Points: 172,829, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    200+ Posts Achievement!Ghost Achievement! Averaging 5+ posts a day!First 1000 Experience Points400+ Posts AchievementGot three Friends
    Awards:
    Reply Award
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    25,166
    Points
    172,829
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    6,659
    Thanked 14,981x 9,540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Contemplating the Route to Get Into AP



    The Orion package that you linked to is the 1000mm FL f/5 scope, which is heavier than the f/4 astrograph. Granted it is on the Atlas (=EQ6) mount rather than the Sirius (=HEQ5), but you will have to be weight-conscious with all your equipment so as not to overload the mount.

    Both scopes, the f/4 and the f/5, as CamerHat noted, will need a coma corrector for AP.

    As everyone else is saying, think smaller scope, bigger mount.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


    DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier);
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    .

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

  2. #12
    Star Dad's Avatar
    Star Dad is offline Bright Giants
    Points: 5,217, Level: 49
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    2 Posts Achievement20 Posts Achievement!365 Days+ Registered Achievement!First 1000 Experience Points750 Days+ Registered Achievement!
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norwich CT
    Posts
    465
    Points
    5,217
    Level
    49
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 77x 70 Posts

    Default Re: Contemplating the Route to Get Into AP

    You can see by my signature the gear I have. The Atlas EQ-G easily handles my 8" scope (not a astrograph as it's a bit slower - f4.9 vs f3.9 - but I bought it because I wanted just a tad more magnification for outreach.) The Atlas tracks pretty well for 1 minute exposures with about a 5% loss due to errors in manufacturing... I find that acceptable for 90% of my imaging in my LP skies. When I'm out in the dark skies (The other 10%) I take 3 minute exposures and use a guiding camera (the ASI). I bought a (used) Ioptron iEQ30 and it was not up to the weight of the 8" - so putting your money where your mount is imperative. I could only get about a 15-20 second exposures at most - which my Alt/Az mini-tower could do easily. My website ( Eastern Connecticut Girl Scout Astronomy Club ) shows the pictures I've taken. You can easily see the progress in processing and imaging quality over time. I've redone some of the older images to bring out more detail.

    Edit: Wow - that's weird - I put in my website address and it used the (old) page name. Guess I have to change that.
    "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

    Orion 8" F4.9 1000mm FL, Coronado PST, Celestron 114mm F4.4 FL500mm (2x Barlow removed), Ioptron Mini-Tower, Ioptron iEQ30, Orion Atlas EQ-G, Canon 70D, ZWO ASI120MM, converted TASCO 114mm FL1000mm to Steam Punk, Coma Corrector, Meade 114mm Fl1000 on manual mount.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Contemplating my new refractor and accessoires
    By Sputnik-Michael in forum Refractor Telescopes Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-12-2018, 07:55 PM
  2. Contemplating repair of equatorial mount
    By MrShorty in forum Telescope Mounts Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2016, 01:00 PM
  3. Contemplating new scope(s) lots of questions inside.
    By Intheflesh in forum Astro Imaging Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 08:34 PM
  4. contemplating the possibility
    By JBW in forum Astronomy Digital Cameras Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 11:05 PM
  5. contemplating dark matter and energy
    By Joe Zorzin in forum General Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 11:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Powered by vBulletin®
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 AM.