Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106
  1. #1
    M104galaxy@gmail.com's Avatar
    M104galaxy@gmail.com Guest

    Default Global warming BS



    More BS:

    World Meteorological Organization Flunks History
    JunkScience.com, December 18, 2007

    "The World Meteorological Organization says 2007 is shaping up to be
    the fifth-warmest
    year on record and that this past year has seen, what it calls, a
    number of remarkable
    global climatic events, including the record melting of the Arctic Sea
    ice, which
    opened the Canadian Northwest Passage for the first time in recorded
    history."

    However, Roald Amundsen and a six-man crew sailed the Northwest
    Passage in 1905
    in their 70' sloop Gjøa while Robert McClure proved the route in 1854,
    winning a
    £10,000 prize for finding the Passage. So many have done so that
    there is a 'typical'
    route and at least a half-dozen others.

    And when do you suppose the other 4 warmer years were?

    And, of course, none of this ties warming to HUMAN CREATED CO2


  2. #2
    Chris L Peterson's Avatar
    Chris L Peterson Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    Newsgroups in the alt hierarchy are the appropriate places for posting
    non-scientific junk, pseudoscience, and comments reflecting gross
    scientific ignorance. Please post scientific, astronomical related
    material in SAA.

    _________________________________________________

    Chris L Peterson
    Cloudbait Observatory
    http://www.cloudbait.com

  3. #3
    mommycalled@gmail.com's Avatar
    mommycalled@gmail.com Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    On Dec 19, 2:23 pm, "M104gal...@gmail.com" <M104gal...@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    Take the time to learn a little meteorology, climatology and history
    before you shoot your mouth off. The overwhelming evidence at this
    point is that there is a measurable signal of warming. The only people
    who still think that global warming isn't occurring are the oil/gas
    industry mouthpieces and the people who think that the "govunment
    revunuers" destroyed the world trade centers.

  4. #4
    M104galaxy@gmail.com's Avatar
    M104galaxy@gmail.com Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    On Dec 19, 2:50 pm, Chris L Peterson <c...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

    You are simply demonstrating how threatened you are by the facts and
    how little you understand of climate science if you dismiss the
    "junkscience" website as "reflecting gross innorance"

  5. #5
    M104galaxy@gmail.com's Avatar
    M104galaxy@gmail.com Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    On Dec 19, 3:49 pm, mommycal...@gmail.com wrote:

    Childish strawman. The issue is not whether we may be in a period of
    "temporary" warming, rather, the issues are (1) are we in a temporary
    period of warming which has occurred many times in recorded history
    and which will not continue indefinitely, unabated? (2) what are the
    causes of this warming and to what extent does man contribute , (3) to
    what extent does C02 contribute and (4) to what extent does man-made
    CO2 contribute ( as opposed to, say, volcanic CO2 )??

    If you think we have definitive answers to all 4 of the above, you are
    simply clueless and/or a green trying to hide his agenda.

  6. #6
    Chris L Peterson's Avatar
    Chris L Peterson Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:08:54 -0800 (PST), "M104galaxy@gmail.com"
    <M104galaxy@gmail.com> wrote:


    I am not threatened by facts. I am threatened by scientific ignorance in
    the general public, which is helped along by sites like junkscience.com.
    Their crude attempts to dismiss what is well established scientific
    evidence will not convince anybody with any reasonable scientific
    education, but unfortunately, that doesn't include most people
    (especially in the U.S.)

    _________________________________________________

    Chris L Peterson
    Cloudbait Observatory
    http://www.cloudbait.com

  7. #7
    M104galaxy@gmail.com's Avatar
    M104galaxy@gmail.com Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    On Dec 19, 4:31 pm, Chris L Peterson <c...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

    Ah, that is why none of the global warming experts will debate the
    subject, why the leading computer modelers keep their algo formulas
    secret, why the "hockey stick" guy refuses to this day to admit he
    made a crucial mistake, why the NASA guy, Hanson, tries to cover up
    his mistakes, why no one wants to discuss how unreliable historical
    world wide temp data is, even to the point of being well within the
    margin of error for the predicted warming for the next 50 years, etc,
    etc.

    If you really think the oceans, for example, are going to rise 2 feet
    in the next 40 years based upon the "evidence" presented, you are a
    gullible fool.

    GIGO. Global warming seems to be the new rallying point for the
    Greens, Sierra Club, etc--none of whom have any real understanding.

  8. #8
    S. Caro's Avatar
    S. Caro Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    Chris L Peterson wrote:


    If you look back at the IPCC's last climate report submitted in
    November, 2007, you'll see they use words like unequivocal, certain
    and absolute. These words were echoed faithfully by the media.

    If you read the fine print, in their report you'll see the *actual*
    probability they attach to global warming being caused by man is only 90%.
    The argument isn't completely over.

    Sadly, any scientist that pursues the 10% grey area will be accused
    of being 'owned by big oil', ostracized by his/her peers and in some
    cases sanctioned by their employers.

    No wonder so few scientists will speak out.





  9. #9
    Chris L Peterson's Avatar
    Chris L Peterson Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:27:18 -0600, "S. Caro" <scaro@muxnet.com> wrote:


    Of course it isn't. No scientific theory is 100% absolute. But 90% is a
    very high confidence level, high enough that only a fool wouldn't take
    it seriously. If my doctor tells me I have a 90% chance of suffering
    major physical problems if I don't make some lifestyle changes, I'm
    going to do just that, even though there's a 10% chance I could carry on
    without change.


    Example? A scientist who "pursues the 10%" uncertainty will have
    something original to publish. And in fact, many of the papers published
    on climate change do point out problems in other research- just like you
    find in any area of legitimate science.

    It is that 10% area that offers the richest research awards, and that is
    exactly where most of the research is focused!

    _________________________________________________

    Chris L Peterson
    Cloudbait Observatory
    http://www.cloudbait.com

  10. #10
    Greg Crinklaw's Avatar
    Greg Crinklaw Guest

    Default Global warming BS

    S. Caro wrote:

    Yeah. Astronomers who think the world is flat have the same problem.
    As do biologists who think that Kangaroos and Armadillos somehow got a
    ride on the Ark, Doctors who think the plague is caused by "vapors" and
    Planetary scientists who think the moon is made of green cheese. We all
    know the only reason they don't speak out is that they are afraid to.

    Thank goodness.

    --
    Greg Crinklaw
    Astronomical Software Developer
    Cloudcroft, New Mexico, USA (33N, 106W, 2700m)

    SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
    Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
    Comets: http://comets.skyhound.com

    To reply take out your eye

 

 
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. global warming
    By sxinias in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-27-2009, 07:22 PM
  2. Global warming BS
    By invalid@example.com in forum Amateur Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 04:52 PM
  3. Global Warming On Venus
    By HangEveryRepubliKKKan in forum Amateur Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM
  4. Solar warming v. Global warming
    By Roger Steer in forum Amateur Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 12:23 AM
  5. Global warming v. Solar warming
    By Roger Steer in forum UK Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 09:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Powered by vBulletin®
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36 AM.