Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Rich's Avatar
    Rich Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading



    Letters to the ed. favour keeping Pluto as a planet by 80% or something
    like that.
    Either this is a highly skewed sample of the general opinion, or it's
    proof people only write letters
    when they feel incensed. I'd hate to think 80% of Sky and Tel's
    readers are old, nostalgic dummies who act emotionally rather than
    think rationally.
    The demotion of Pluto was not an attack on Tombaugh. He had no idea
    what he was really looking at, nor did anyone else up until recently.
    Any real attack on Tombaugh for not understanding the true nature of
    Pluto would be like attacking some guy from the 1880s who skimmed over
    3C273 thinking, "Ah, a little blue star..."


  2. #2
    RichIsaTroll's Avatar
    RichIsaTroll Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading

    AT LEAST 80% of the readers here, most of them perfectly rational and
    intelligent consider you a TROLL.

    AstroHoney

    Rich wrote:


  3. #3
    WTF's Avatar
    WTF Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading



    Rich wrote:


    Then all of that research of the 70-80 -90's.... was wasted.
    Clyde was a dummy. And YOU are a tomato.





  4. #4
    Rich's Avatar
    Rich Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading


    WTF wrote:

    I rest my case. Emotional morons are endemic.


  5. #5
    atasselli@hotmail.com's Avatar
    atasselli@hotmail.com Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading


    Rich wrote:

    Probably right.

    Andrea T.


  6. #6
    Patrick Edward Murray's Avatar
    Patrick Edward Murray Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading


    Let's look at this another way...

    When you are rather young, in college or just out, you tend to think
    you know everything.
    As you get older you begin to realize that there is a heck of a lot you
    don't know. And getting older still you realize that you know even
    less.

    Putting it another way "Logic is the beginning of wisdom".

    Now, there is nothing at all wrong about being enthusiastic because
    enthusiasm is the desire that pushes life forward including discovery
    but there is something wrong headed by believing that just because
    someone is older that they are irrelevant or that whatever they
    accomplished is irrelevant.

    I believe that those who scoff at discovery need to ask themselves why?

    Why is it so terribly bad that we keep Pluto as a Planet and decide
    that it is the lower limit distinguishing a planet from an asteroid????

    Why?

    Because some scoff at tradition?

    Better be careful because tradition is one of those elements of human
    culture that bind us together as a people and as a species.

    Because it's not logical?

    How so?

    It's very logical

    Yes, it's important to classify but where do you set a limit?
    At what point in time does classification become so irrelevant that it
    really
    exists more of a attribute to O.C.D.?

    Personally, I think it's reached that fine point.

    And, while we are at it, why is it that we allow a very small subset of
    people and then a smaller subset of professional astronomers (not to
    mention those who were not there) to make such a determination?

    A "Rush job" to say the very least.

    No, like other groups of people, astronomers sometimes are wrong.

    And in time, they will bend with the will of the people.


  7. #7
    atasselli@hotmail.com's Avatar
    atasselli@hotmail.com Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading


    Patrick Edward Murray wrote:

    .....<big snip>

    Great. Pearls of wisdom. But, hold on a minute, apparently the
    overwhelmingly large majority of the scientific discoveries (in fact,
    more so the more maths was at the base of the said discovery) has been
    made by people in their youth or early middle age. Something must have
    gone wrong, certainly...

    Now, if you were to dedicate as much time in writing a long and winding
    post which could be best summarize in:"we don't want anything to
    change, thank you, 'cause we don't like it" in understanding something,
    just a little something in what a scientific process is you might, but
    just might, be a little better off than you were before. As second
    thought, though, I would recommend considering taking up gardening
    instead of (amateur) astronomy as more in line with your line of
    thought.

    Have a great day/night, sir

    Andrea T.


  8. #8
    Rich's Avatar
    Rich Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading


    Patrick Edward Murray wrote:

    Is that like the "tyranny of an illiterate (Scientifically speaking)"
    majority?


  9. #9
    Chris L Peterson's Avatar
    Chris L Peterson Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading

    On 19 Dec 2006 16:44:05 -0800, "Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:


    It is worth noting that a significant number of professional astronomers
    (over half by many accounts) disagree with the IAU definition and are
    not using it.

    Only time will tell how this will shake out. I hope (and have some
    reasonable expectation) that "planet" will ultimately be left undefined,
    or loosely defined as in the past. It certainly doesn't need a rigorous
    definition; the current IAU definition leaves science somewhat
    impoverished.

    _________________________________________________

    Chris L Peterson
    Cloudbait Observatory
    http://www.cloudbait.com

  10. #10
    Patrick Edward Murray's Avatar
    Patrick Edward Murray Guest

    Default Sky and Tel and why letters are sometimes unimportant and misleading


    Thank you Chris
    Your point is well taken.


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Physics Today Letters: Professional kindnesses
    By Sam Wormley in forum Amateur Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
  2. another media misleading
    By ThomA in forum Amateur Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 12:42 AM
  3. Space Enivronment Center seeks letters of support
    By canopus56 in forum Amateur Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 07:37 PM
  4. Wally & Mac Send me Love Letters
    By Mad Scientist in forum General Astronomy Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 05:36 PM
  5. Telescope letters what do they mean?
    By Matt in forum Meade Telescope Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 05:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Powered by vBulletin®
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:12 PM.